This blog summarises findings from Woolman's second data study on the 90-day growth trends of Shopify Plus-based e-commerce businesses' social media followers on TikTok, Instagram, and Facebook in the top 20 European market segments and 5 countries. You can read more about our first study here.
The study was conducted by combining data from over 7700 Shopify stores' social media followers and analysing the change from January 2023 to March 2023, and reflects changes to previous study performed 90 days ago.
Steady growth continues in Apparel, Beauty and Fashion
During the last 90 days TikTok's growth rates have been dropping in many areas, but steady growth continues in almost all segments, especially in Apparel, Beauty and Fashion segment Shopify Plus ecommerce stores.
The top 3 changes in TikTok followers growth rates for European Shopify Plus eCommerce market segments from January 2023 to April 2023 are:
- The travel segment saw a significant increase in the TikTok 90-day growth rate, rising from 18.70% in January 2023 to 22.19% in April 2023.
- The pets and animals segment experienced a significant decrease in the TikTok 90-day growth rate, dropping from 27.90% in January 2023 to 3.42% in April 2023.
- The food and drink segment also saw a significant decrease in the TikTok 90-day growth rate, declining from 7.90% in January 2023 to 1.60% in April 2023.
TikTok Growth Continues in Nordics & UK
Comparing results per country gives also interesting insights how TikTok adoption increases in different countries and markets.
Top 5 changes in TikTok growth rates for Shopify merchants across selected markets from January 2023 to April 2023:
- Finland (FI) saw a significant increase in the TikTok growth rate, rising from 12.2% in January 2023 to 15.4% in April 2023.
- Germany (DE) experienced a significant decrease in the TikTok growth rate, dropping from 7.1% in January 2023 to 3.3% in April 2023.
- Denmark (DK) also saw a significant decrease in the TikTok growth rate, declining from 9.9% in January 2023 to 3.7% in April 2023.
- United Kingdom (GB) had a small increase in the TikTok growth rate, rising from 6.6% in January 2023 to 7.0% in April 2023.
- Sweden (SE) had a small decrease in the TikTok growth rate, dropping from 9.1% in January 2023 to 8.8% in April 2023.
These changes highlight the fact that TikTok growth rates for Shopify merchants can vary significantly across different countries, but we can still see significant growth in the UK, Finland and Sweden, as many other countries are getting more stable.
However, you shouldn’t just compare markets as an average, as most brands are not investing at all in TikTok. At the same time, European ecommerce giants like Oh Polly from the UK are achieving an impressive 31% growth rate in 90 days with over 700,000 TikTok followers.
What should ecommerce merchants do?
Over the last 6 months, European Shopify-based merchants have experienced significant growth in their TikTok followers, while their Facebook and Instagram follower counts have either remained the same or gradually declined. This trend highlights the need for merchants to explore TikTok advertising opportunities and evaluate the ROI of different marketing channels.
Therefore it is crucial to monitor ad performance regularly and make adjustments as necessary, as we can observe different growth rates across markets like the UK, Finland, and Sweden.
Managing the complexity of various marketing channels across different markets and combining data from these can be overwhelming for many without the right tools. To save time and money, it is highly recommended to start using Shopify's data platform like Ellis, which can provide actionable insights and help merchants optimize their marketing strategies. By leveraging the right tools and staying on top of the latest trends, ecommerce merchants can effectively reach their target audience and drive sales on multiple channels.
Written by Jani Kykyri