Updated September 25, 2023
The Customer Overview Dashboard provides a comprehensive insight into customer metrics pre selected segments.
- The KPI section displays an unfiltered all-time customer count, customer counts for specified periods, and identifies new customers based on their initial orders.
- The Customer Acquisition offers cumulative counts by year, comparisons between selected periods, and differentiates between new and returning customers, while also showcasing order values and basket sizes.
- The Customer Segments Overview breaks down data into 10 specific customer segments, and provides regional data based on shipping information.
The dashboard can be filtered by time period, compared over time, and by store. Clicking KPI tiles opens customer details. Users can create their own customer segments with the Ellis Customer Segmentation tool.
Customer Overview Dashboard Elements
- All-Time Customers count is not affected by any of the date filters. Source: Shopify
- Customer count in the selected period. The reported change is relative to the selected comparison period. Source: Shopify
- New Customers in the selected period. Customer is considered new if the order is the customer's first one. The reported change is relative to the selected comparison period. Source: Shopify
- The Customer Acquisition Cost (CAC) is a blended metric that considers marketing costs from all stores divided by the total number of new customers across all stores. It's important to note that this KPI remains unaffected by the store name and source name filters. Sources: Meta, Google Ads, Shopify
- Monthly Cumulative Customers by Year chart shows cumulative customer count by year. Each month's unique customers are summed together, i.e. each customer can be counted multiple times if they have placed orders in several months within the same calendar year. Source: Shopify
- Customer Count in Selected and Comparison Period chart shows customer count comparison between the selected and comparison period. Source: Shopify
Comparison of New and Returning Customers
- New vs Returning Customers in the Selected Period shows count of new and returning customers over time. Customer is new if the order is the customer's first. The Customer Acquisition Cost (CAC) is a blended metric that considers marketing costs from all stores divided by the total number of new customers across store(s) selected in the store name filter. Source: Shopify, Google Ads + Meta
- Average Order Value by Customer Type chart presents average order value of new and returning customers over time. Source: Shopify
- Average Basket Size by Customer Type chart shows average basket size (ABS) of new and returning customers. Average basket size is computed as sold item quantity divided by the order count. Source: Shopify
Customer Segments Overview
- Customer Count by Segments chart shows customer count in pre-configured 10 customers segment over time. Source: Shopify
- Customers by Region: Count of customers based on the orders' shipping info. Source: Shopify